Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Midnight Smoke




Midnight Smoke

This picture is the result of a late night shooting session in my backyard, weapon of choice, my Mamiya c220 w/ a flash unit attached to it.

A few months ago, Josie and I were watching TV in my living room and for some reason I decided to drag her outside just after midnight and shoot her. Why not do a little night photography? So, I told her to take off her clothes and just leave her bra and undies, then gave her my jacket with the white leather sleeves. I pulled the jacket down to make it drop off her shoulders, gave her a cigarette, and told her to light it. I remember distinctly how it was really hard focusing because it was completely pitch black outside, and from what I recall I focused on the flame cause it is the only thing I could see. Once I was focused, I snapped the picture because lighting a smoke doesn't take to long and you have to be quick. I was trying to capture the raw, and vulnerable state of an addict getting their fix very late at night. We took a few pictures but this is the one that really stood out, and out of all of them I think this best represents that state of mind.

Just before we finished the roll of film, Josie looks up and sees that one of my neighbours lights had just turned on and then saw someone looking out the window and staring at her. That is when I realized that every time I shot a picture the flash probably went into people's houses because it was so dark outside. So thinking that I just woke up my neighbours, had them see Josie standing outside half naked was probably the best time to wrap up the shoot and so we did. This was my first attempt at using a flash with the Mamiya and trying out night photography.

All images © Christos Spentzos 2009. These images may not be used without written permission under any circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment